And the bigger question: Forget the mounting pressure to find something interesting to say. Can the mounting pile of dirty clothes in my laundry room really wait another 5 minutes? (One of my kids has already informed me that she can't find any clean underwear.)
So in the interest of time, and in an effort to keep my family socially acceptable to the general public, the following is a recycled list of recent comments I've left on various other people's blogs. [Apologies if you've already read one of these comments on your blog--but my family, and probably our entire neighborhood will thank you.]
1. [On a blogger kid's first loose tooth and Tooth Fairy visit]: "By the time we got to #4 kid's loose teeth, sometimes the Tooth Fairy was really busy and a bit forgetful, so she often "left" the money in my wallet so it wouldn't get lost under the pillow during the night." [A word of warning: this can be hazardous to your budget if you only have $20 bills.]
2. [On a blogger's post about some baby bird pics she took]: "We have a nest of baby blue birds in a decorative bird box on my porch. All the bird-books say that blue birds rarely nest so near to a building. Apparently our birds haven't done a lot of reading."
3. [On a fellow blogger's kid having a sleepover with a whiny guest]: "I think the worst is when the guest decides he misses his mommy and wants to go home at 1 AM. Is it just being practical or false imprisonment if you make the kid wait until a decent hour the next morning?!"
4. [In response to a comment on my swimsuit shopping post]: "Thankfully, my girls have chosen tasteful clothes and swimwear. I haven't bought a suit in years. There is just nothing tasteful about a 40-something mother of 4 in anything with spandex. "
5. [In response to the kid upstairs who can't find any clean underwear]: "Honey, check under your pillow. . . I think the Tooth Fairy may have left some there."
Do you want your 5 minutes back?