Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Oh, the Monotony

The day started like any other. I was jolted awake by our infamous outside cat, Friendly (and no, dear readers, he is still not) who had once again, sneaked in when an unsuspecting husband let the dog out the night before. You might ask how clueless could an otherwise responsible, detail-oriented person be. (I'm fairly certain that the cat hasn't learned to teleport himself inside, although he was a stray and I'm not absolutely sure that in one of his previous 8 lives that he wasn't the subject of some government experiment involving such technology. Heck, he might even be a small cog in some secret government spy program, for all I know.) Anyway, this is the same man who did notice a large moth which flew into our house while letting the dog out one night last summer. He said he tried to find the large flying insect but couldn't, so promptly forgot about it. Three days later, I discovered the "moth" in my laundry room in the basement. Turns out that this moth was really a small brown bat and it was perched just above my head in the doorway. My hero husband came running when he heard my hysterical scream, and then went running when I found out that he had seen the thing fly into the house THREE DAYS EARLIER, and then forgot to tell me. Never mind that when he had seen it, it was a "moth," because it had now morphed into a giant vampire bat inches away from my jugular. (You may remember a previous post about a similar incident involving a rabid skunk and the dear Clueless One's failure to think it was a "big deal" that it bit my neighbor--somehow, Friendly was also part of that story too.)

Anyway, again, to return to my original story. . . as I gradually moved from that blissful state of deep slumber, to that foggy state of semi-consciousness, and then to that startled "I shouldn't have watched that horror movie last night" state of wakefulness, there, about an inch from my nose, sat a motionless orange cat staring at me. After I peeled myself off the ceiling it was time to start another day. "Get up girls. Sorry for that ear-piercing screech. No, Dad didn't let another bat into the house. Just Friendly." Off to school, and then on to my first cup of coffee and my daily dose of blog-land, only to find out that my dear friend Blondie has sent me a very kind award. Apparently I am one of her "Daily Doses"-I was so surprised. Such a wonderful way to break the monotony of our boring life here in Georgia.

I really didn't have a speech prepared, but I would like to thank dear Blondie, the others who stop in to read and comment, my kids, my dear husband, of course dear Friendly, my cleaner, my hairdresser, all the people in wardrobe and make up, my producer, my agent, the writers. . . . music playing louder as I drone on and on and on . . . . oh wait, just trying to compensate for the cancelled Golden Globes.


Honestly, and seriously, I was really touched by Blondie awarding me one of her Daily Doses. She really is a kindred spirit, and I read her blog daily too! Thanks so much, dear, dear Blondie.
Here's the story behind the award.

"This little award is called The Daily Dose - and here is all the important info to tell you what it is about and where it came from. This is a tribute to all the blogs that you've discovered that you can't possibly live without. They make you laugh, cry, think and feel connected every time you read a post. They give you a thrill as you see them loading into your browser and you get an equally satisfying thrill when you see that they have commented on your blog". From Xandra: creator, The Daily Dose Award.


I'd like to pass along the award to. . . .music playing louder and louder while I drone on and on and on. . .
Guess I'll post those later.

25 comments:

Genevieve said...

This was well awarded I have gotten some pretty good fits of giggles from your blogging, Congrats! Your house and husband sound a bit like mine! Cats, dogs, kids and somewhat if not completely unobservant husbands!
Have a great day!

meg said...

I'm laughing, but really- only in sympathy. My hubby's eyesight has suddenly become "senior", so I can so see him mistaking a bat for a moth, as well as "selective memory loss" thereby forgetting to tell me about said "moth".
I also can identify with the heart-attack-waiting-to-happen cat- our Poppy (also a marmalade) is famous for standing next to my pillow & staring eyeball to eyeball while I sleep; what she's waiting for, I'll never know, since my screach usually sends her under the bed for the rest of the day.
I can see that I have found another "Daily Dose" to visit- just the cure for the dreary grind of the office (don't worry- I won't blame you if I get fired for gruffawing while I should be working)

Cindy said...

ROFL...oh my gosh....we have "two" as well, once inch from the face, but injury to insult...a cold wet kitty nose touching mine..yeah, that will wake ya up.
Congrats on the Daily Dose, well deserved my friend !!

c

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

You definately deserve an award for that story. How funny!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your award. :) Bats...nice for the garden...a bummer in the house.
Alexandra

Esther Sunday said...

Ya had me in stitches with this one, especially the part about your acceptance speech! Congrats on a well deserved award! love, E

Lori said...

oh my gosh!!! you are SO funny!!! i think you might have forgotten to thank the bat but i think everyone else was duly noted...

Dana said...

Oh my goodness Cathy!!! You are a GREAT story teller because I felt like I was sitting her next to a looking glass ... peering right exactly into those moments in your life!!! And EEEEEEKKKKK might I add, LOLOL!

Congratulations to you also on YOUR award!! ;) It is well-deserved and I do so enjoy coming here to visit you.

Have a wonderful day!!!

xo,
Dana

Nikki said...

very cute bloggy! And thanks for stopping by mine as well!

And I think it's awesome that you have a cat named Friendly!

Nikki said...

and you read crazy aunt purl!!!!!

Elizabeth Prata said...

the bat thing was hilarious.

Elizabeth Prata said...

PS I read crazy aunt purl too!!!!!!!
Hey, is she all right? no entries since the mega-storm.

Flea Market Queen said...

Too funny!

Wide Lawns said...

Oh my lord, a bat inside the house. I would have a literal heart attack and my brain would explode. Do we have bats in Florida? I don't recall ever having seen any. My sister used to live in Ohio and I will never forget the time a bat flew into her house while she was on the phone with me and since she was home alone she kept me on the phone while she tried to get her uninterested cat to kill it for her. We're still laughing about that conversation.

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Cathy a bat...yuk!!! We have a bat issue in Melbourne would you believe, they fly over the city at night and rest by the river in quite a large group! Shivers down the spine! Well done on your Award, perfect for you and you lovely Blog :) Jenn and Jacqui

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh Cathy a bat...yuk!!! We have a bat issue in Melbourne would you believe, they fly over the city at night and rest by the river in quite a large group! Shivers down the spine! Well done on your Award, perfect for you and you lovely Blog :) Jenn and Jacqui

kari and kijsa said...

Loved this story- got our morning started with a smile (fortunately bat- and outside cat- free!!!)

blessings,
kari & kijsa

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

All clear here too!
C

Anonymous said...

LOL! A large moth! Great story!

Manuela

Nancy Malay said...

Oh, Cathy, you are as talented in writing as you are with your creations!

I just love the whimsical look your papier mache figures have! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! Nancy

Bebe said...

Hi Cathy ~

Your story made me laugh (I know it wasn't funny to you at the time) so much about the "moth" that turned out to be a bat. I would have had a (GA phrase) screaming duck-fit if I had gone to do my laundry and found it hanging there above my head like that.

I hope you made him stay down there until he caught that thing and removed it from the laundry room. Ewwwwww....

Congratulations on your award!! You deserve it and more because your blog is lovely!!

Bebe :)

Cathy ~ Tadpoles and Teacups said...

Yep,
Dear Husband caught the bat in a large trash bag and released it. . . far, far away. . .in Transylvania, I hope.
C

Unknown said...

ooo that bat and cat story was just too funny. just the kind of reading i love at 1220am. thanks for dropping by my blog and so glad that someone else understands the hotel california thing.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hey Cathy, welcome to The Daily Dose club! '-)

Best,
Chris

Linda Lilly Cottage said...

Congratulations on your award..I feel you deserve it, I love the way you write...feels like you are sitting at my table with a cuppa, not on the other side of the world!! A great read, have a wonderful day. ( Come by and enter our giveaway too, I think you would like it) Kiss noises Linda Lilly Cottage.