Wednesday, November 7, 2007

"Honey, I didn’t think it was a big deal."


In my mind, finding out about a rabid skunk attacking my elderly neighbor as she watered her flowers is somewhat of a big deal. And the fact that my dear husband knew about it and didn't think to tell me was an even bigger deal. [Now, I’m wondering, in his mind, what would constitute a big deal?!] We live out in the country, and occasionally one hears of rabid animals, but this was just a bit too close–less than one mile from our house.

That prompted a call to the vet to make sure all of our pets were up to date on rabies shots. Both cats, who technically are outside cats, were due; so in an effort to save time and gas, I decided to take both at the same time. I enlisted our youngest daughter's help, since the cats are hers anyway. Getting 17 pound "Friendly" (and, no, he's not) in the cat carrier is a feat in itself. And trying to get both cats inside the same carrier, well, not even a possibility. So my daughter and I rigged up a second carrier made with a laundry basket and a towel. An inner voice warned me this might not be the best plan, but visions of Old Yeller were prominently playing in my mind.

All was well on the way to the vet. Apart from a brief encounter with an overly friendly and nosy great dane in the lobby, we made it uneventfully into the exam room; and when each cat was examined, vaccinated and pronounced safe, we headed home. The ride home was a bit different. Little "Tres" [who once was a boy cat until I took him to be neutered and found out "he" was a "she"--which is altogether another post] was not happy, and neither was Friendly. His mournful cries only made things worse, and my daughter struggled to keep Tres’ laundry basket jail-cell intact. Not happening. So she opted to hold Tres wrapped in a blanket. I’m not sure just what happened, but we were almost home when I heard, "Oh man, gross! My leg’s wet," and then black fur and cat urine flew all over our back seat. When the car finally came to a stop, doors flung open and all exited like a scene from National Lampoon’s "Family Vacation." Cats and kids went for the hills, and I went for the baking soda, club soda, FeBreeze, disinfectant, and whatever else I thought might remove the offensive odor. Nothing, I mean, NOTHING helped. I called my loving husband, (who, technically, is at the root of all of this), and he said he had something at his shop which might help. So, with windows rolled down, and fingers pinching my nose, I drove the 2 miles hoping for a miracle. The entire de-odorizing process took close to an hour.

Meanwhile, I received a phone call from my daughter–"Mom, there is something on the floor upstairs that really, really stinks. . ." (Reminiscent of the "Mom, can I vacuum glass" incident.) In the midst of the earlier melee, Friendly had somehow found his way into the house and upstairs, far away from that crazed, middle-aged lunatic who was frantically flinging chemicals at the car. I guess all the day's events–car rides, great danes, vet appointments, shots, cat carrier confinement, crazy women-- had traumatized him, and in an hour’s time he had managed to vomit or poo in every room upstairs. I am an animal lover, but at that moment, if I could have put my hands on some of that tainted cat food we heard so much about in the news last summer. . .

17 comments:

Lori said...

well, i am LMAO!!! but i feel so badly for you!!! cat "excretions" are the worst...i have three kitties and we have had more than a few accidents...uggggggh!!! poor you:(

Beth Leintz said...

Oh no- poor kitty, poor Cathy! I can sympathize- the first time I took my last puppy with me for some errands- he threw up in my purse- amazingingly enough, he missed the check book and my billfold- but the purse was toast!

I wish you had a picture of the laundry basket kennel!

BTW, I think a rabid skunk in the neighborhood is a BIG deal!

Unknown said...

woah Nelly !!! That was a trip to the vet and back and more and.. and... Woah !!! I am like woah !!!!

Mica

http://garboodles.typepad.com/

rochambeau said...

Dear Lady Cathy,
Sorry about the kitty catastrophe!! Sounds like no fun!
But,no matter what, it sure beats contracting rabies!!!

Thank you very much for stopping by today. You brightened my day!

Constance

Cindy said...

OMGosh....I'm rolling. Of course, I all too well understand those vet trips with two in tow. Hope your car seat smells better. Thanks for the laugh.
c

Sandra Evertson said...

So funny I was laughing out loud!
My cats "punish" me with little "gifts" like that when I make them go to the vet too!
Sandra Evertson

Suzanne said...

Oh Cathy! That was funny to read, but I'm sure not funny to experience! Hope the fragrances of your car are sweeter!

kecia deveney said...

oh, poor kitty was traumatized! the same thing happened to me when i had to take our kitty, Boo, to the vet after a viscious fight (where half of Boo's jaw was dangling off......)she was so stressed on the way to the vet that she sprayed in the car. i know that smell - ugh! took a long time to get rid of it............. (she's was fine by the way!)

kari and kijsa said...

Oh no! Sounds like a night to remember! Hope your cat is feeling better soon.

Have a very blessed day!
smiles, kari and kijsa

Sweet Remembrance said...

Oh no...I hope your cats are feeling better!
It was kinda funny though...
Sorry!
Priscilla

Unknown said...

OMG!! That is toooooo funny!! I do hope the kitties are doing better, and that there's no more smell:o)!
Have a great night!

Sandra at 7th St. Studio said...

Cathy-
I have never had a trip to the vet be so exciting! And this year I have made many. Too bad someone wasn't video taping, you might have won $$$ on Funniest Home Videos! Thanks for your comment on my blog!!! Glad those cats will not have to go back to the vet anytime soon!-Sandra

Michelle Frae Cummings said...

you poor thing! Cat urine is the hardest to get out of anything! I once had to throw out a brand new pair of suede sneakers cause my sisters cat did not like them.

I used to have a cat named tyra. he lived with me in a studio in san clemente, his fur got all matted from him neglecting to groom himself. from recomendation, I found a vet, but it was at least a 30 min. drive which with a yowling cat on driving not on the freeway, took about 45 min. By the time I got to the vet, I was a wreck. . When I came to pick him up later, everyone could hear him from the waiting room, being part simese, he had that "toddler" with no volume control voice. They shaved every part of him except his legs and head. I think I canceled my week end plans to baby him.

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

What a great story! Being the owner of three cats, I could just picture this!! :)
Thanks for visiting my blog today!

Donna O'Brien said...

Oh boy....oh...boy. That was NOT good.The tainted cat food comment- bad but funny!
D.

calamitykim said...

very funny story! Sounds like a calamity to me! I have had cats before and they can be really rough to transport- the scratches and screams from coming from the carrier- I remember them well! (can I add- that's why I love my dog so much more!!?!!) Thank goodness you survived it- I hope you got to have a calgon moment. and tell the Mr that it IS a BIG deal! Rabid anything biting anyone close by is something Mom's need to know!!!!!smack him, would ya?! hahaha- just kidding...

vivian said...

Hi Cathy! I got a kick out of your entry! your life sounds like mine!! I love the part about 17 lb Friendly.. no hes not!
just stopping by..
vivian