Monday, November 19, 2007

We Have a Winner

You may be like me and think, "I never win anything." One of the few raffles our family ever won involved a turkey. My kids attended a carnival at school many years ago, and each guessed the number of jellybeans in a jar to win a free turkey. At 50 cents a pop, I thought it was money well spent, since our family does eat occasionally, and the money raised was going to support the school, and it also kept each kid engrossed in the counting for several minutes. (Mothers with four small children will pay big money to have 5 minutes of sanity.) Soon it was on to funnel cakes and face painting, and the jelly bean raffle was quickly forgotten. Monday rolled around and my oldest jumped off the bus carrying some sort of wood and chicken-wire box. "What on earth have they been doing in art class these days?" I wondered as my son ran to the car and proudly announced that HE was the lucky winner. Well, technically, he didn't win, but all of the other "winners'" moms wouldn't let them take home the prize. Somehow I missed that memo, because this grand prize just happened to still be covered in feathers and was staring at me and gobbling. I would have been happier with second prize, which was a jar and 1253 jelly beans.


P.S. In case you're wondering, our turkey received a name, and a full presidential pardon. Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

12 comments:

Sandra Evertson said...

Well , that story made my day!
Thanks! And I'm sure the turkey Thanks you too!
Sandra Evertson

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh, too funny! Jenn and Jacqui

Lori said...

ooooh how funny!!!
how did he get along with the cats:)

Anonymous said...

That is hysterical!! Sounds like something I would "win". Did you really take him home?

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

I LOVE THIS STORY! I am still giggling and smiling over it Cathy. Thank you for sharing that!!! Did he get donated to the local zoo or set free to roam the woods?

kari and kijsa said...

That made our day- teeheehee! Have a blessed Thanksgiving!

smiles,
kari & kijsa

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

So will he be a family pet now? I've never had a turkey around before, but once had a pet goose named Gus who was a sweetheart. I could hold him and carry him around with me.

Anonymous said...

"Oh what a wonderful funny story!!" Now you can look back and laugh at it every Thanksgiving. Speaking of;

I wish you a "Happy Thanksgiving" to you and your lovely family.

xo Jeannene

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

Wishing you and your's a Happy Thanksgiving. Mary

Suzanne said...

That is such a funny story! Hope your family has a Happy Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Happy Happy Thanksgiving to you !!! Mica

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Hi Cathy,

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving! :)

Thanks for the recent lovely compliments on my art and your ADD of my blog too!!

Best always,
Chris