Thursday, June 18, 2009

For the Next 60 Seconds. . . .



[This is a public service announcement: Do not adjust your computers. This is only a test. We interrupt this regularly tasteful blog to bring you a message about potties. This is only a test.]


*******The following article appeared in our local newspaper several weeks ago.

Toilet vandals strike in Carl
Athens Banner-Herald Story updated at 10:46 pm on 5/19/2009

Sheriff's deputies and Carl city officials are searching for vandals who smashed a public toilet at the Carl City Hall last weekend. Mayor David John Brock and the city's council have left the bathroom unlocked so the public can use it if they need to, Brock said. It serves as the public restroom for the city's park, and city leaders have never had problems before, he said.
The city will have to pay about $300 to replace the toilet, Brock told deputies. [Read the entire article here.]

******** Normally I try to avoid the typical "potty humor," (mostly because I'm not in middle school anymore) and I try to keep things around here family-friendly; however something about the above article struck me as funny. It's not that I don't feel badly for the mayor, and for the city council, and for the $300 it will cost the taxpayers, and especially for the moms who may be visiting the park with potty training toddlers . . . but this article made me laugh. I'm sorry, but it just did. Why would someone feel the urge to smash a toilet of all things?! Was this a premeditated attack or simply a spur of the moment, random act of porcelain violence? What was going through the vandal's mind? Did the perp set out that day thinking, "Death to toilets!" or maybe, "I'm so angry at the world I think I will smash a public toilet in Carl, Georgia today." Furthermore, when smashing a working potty, wouldn't there be the issue of, uh, water? And public potty water, at that! (You know what I think about public toilets. If not, you can read about my issues here .) Was there something about this particular toilet that the vandal had it in for? Was it the color maybe? Or was it one of those low flow, "energy wise" fixtures which aren't always so wise, if you know what I mean. Maybe it was one of those "mind-reading" toilets which flushes automatically, whether the startled. . . um. . . customer?. . . user? . . . vandal? . . .is ready or not. Maybe this was just simply a case of post traumatic flush syndrome.
Whatever. . .my hope is that this will be the only incident of its kind and that we are not dealing with a serial toilet smasher.


[This has been a test. We now return this blog to it's regularly scheduled tasteful content. ]

P.S. I'm sorry if I ruined your Cheerios.
:)

8 comments:

Cheffie-Mom said...

Post Traumatic Flush Syndrome! LOL!

Little Dollings by Brenda O. said...

umm... LOL... I like Cheffie's idea! Ah, Cathy.. your sense of humor is refreshing. Even if it's about potties this week. heehee..

;)
Brenda

Unknown said...

Teen age boys!!!! Growing up, smashing things because of hormones and toilets because their minds are still in potty humor stage----age 4 - 8. Did I peg it??? !!!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Too funny!
People are so weird. I'm glad no one was hurt in the potty melee.

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Popping in to say hello! LOVED the test pattern...LOL '-P)

TGIF & enjoy your weekend.

Chris (-:

Jann said...

Hate to sound biased or prejudiced, or whatever, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was teenagers--probably boys, out and about thinking they were being funny--who knows? What a dumb thing to do. I really have a problem understanding people out for a lark who destroy things.

Samantha said...

We don't have interesting stories in our local papers like you do... is it a Georgia thing???

Liz Jones said...

LOL Cathy. That is mysterious. Why would anyone smash a toilet?? I think that the authorities should focus on the janitor. Maybe the janitor just didn't want to clean that toilet. Enough is enough. I'm going to go smash my toilet right now.