Monday, January 7, 2008

False Advertising?

My daughter and I were out the other day and saw a furniture store having a "Going Out of Business" Sale, and a large banner which read "No Reasonable Offer Refused." We were tempted to see if they meant what they said, and thought about going in and offering $5000 for a $30 chair.

"No! We must refuse that offer, lady. . . it is clearly unreasonable."
"How about $4999, then?"
"Sold!"

(Note: We took said daughter back to college yesterday, and I miss her already. We got her settled into her dorm room, purchased her textbooks, and had time to grab a bite to eat before making the lonely trip home. Thank goodness for cell phones, because we were just out of the worst of Atlanta traffic--and my eyes were just about dry--when my phone rang. "Your books are in the backseat of our car? Yes, I know that you will probably need them for class. Great, I guess we'll be seeing you again in about 3o minutes." Another hug good-bye, and then we were back on the road, needing a few more tissues. Seems like yesterday I was taking her to kindergarten.)

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ugh I would miss my dd like crazy!!! I hope spring break comes quickly for you :)
Mary
hoganfe handbags

Elizabeth Prata said...

time flies, doesn't it? I guess her homecoming will be all the sweeter. Glad your drive was a safe one.

Anonymous said...

"Oh how sad", I know I much cherish every moment I have with my little one.."everyone keep saying!!"

So Off the Computer I go, I know time will fly right before my eyes:-((

I hope your daughter does well, (she has a great mom!!)
xoxo
Jeannene

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Yes, makes you wonder what "reasonable" really translates to. It is hard when our children move on....makes our hearts hurt, huh?

xo
Becky

Unknown said...

LOL! Too funny!! I'll take $5000 for a $30 chair!!:o)
Kids sure do grow fast, don't they?

Christopher A. Klingler said...

Cute Cathy! '-)

I bet you will miss your daughter, I am sure it will be an adjustment.

PS: LOVE the B&W graphic!

Best,
Chris

BittersweetPunkin said...

Oh my...sounds like a day in the life at my house....the books I mean....LOVE the black and white image!
Blessings,
Robin

FarmHouse Style said...

Oh, Cathy, you have brought me to tears. My son will start Kindergarten this fall and eventhough I will be teaching at the same school, I have already started crying about not being able to spend every moment with him....Pass the tissues will you sweetie?

Rhonda

Esther Sunday said...

Oh, yuck... I started weeping!!! Being a mother does open an emotional wound in you that never heals, does it!!!! Glad you got to go back... but then go through it all again! Love, Esther

Popsicles & Lollipops said...

That made me well up with tears myself! Oh, goodness. I have three. My oldest is just 12 (the other two are just 1 & 3) and I dread the day they leave the nest. I am sure I will be able to get a lot more done, but it will break my heart to loosen those apron strings. But they never really leave the nest, do they? They will always be with us in our heart, even when apart.
Hugs,
Karen